09 February 2008

Was it the Driving or the Dangly Earrings?

Hi Everyone,

Celebrations are in order! Margie and I have reached the status of grown up once again and can retire our learner’s permits! We both passed our driving tests, we can take the red “L”s off our car. There were several levels of synchronicity that conspired to make this so.

The following tale is not to say that we had not done our homework. Last Sunday we had spent a difficult day going through the maneuvers, following the maps given to us online and practicing the driving routes so as not to be caught unaware during the test. Also we scheduled this test one and a half hours from our home, rather than returning to the Cork sites, because we would be driving on roads more like our everyday driving patterns in Kinsale.

First, there were the dangly earrings. One of our new friends, Liz, a main protagonist in the Transition town group (working to help life in Kinsale be completely sustainable through the challenges ahead) gave us a hint. Because the dratted Irish driving test is so hard to pass, and because they frequently fail people on their lack of continual perusal of the driving environment, women who pass frequently wear dangly earrings. The logic being that movement on the earring alerts the examiner to how often you are looking in your mirrors. You’ll love the way Margie looks in them with her current haircut – an unexpected bonus!

Perhaps more than the earrings however was the fact that the examiner remembered us from a chance meeting last year. Here is where the coincidence get VERY interesting. I have recently heard Deepak Chopra’s audio work, The spontaneous fulfillment of desire, I generally love his ideas and consider him one of my teachers and this book came to me, as if by magic, just when I needed it. To make this long explanation short, as I am sitting in the car park at the test centre I am meditating with the intention of opening myself up to anyway the universe can conspire to help me pass this test.

Once in the waiting room, the door opens and a man comes out, beaconing to both myself and the young lad next to me to come into the inner recesses where we start our tests. All goes along as expected, I miss a few signs, I stumble on getting the car started, I am not at the top of my game but not failing or panicking either. Things progress, I get more assured, my driving becomes more indicative of my normal assuredness behind the wheel, and the driving examiner begins to talk to me. We discuss his daughter in Italy (also a Dr. whose degree is not medical), the advantages to speaking many languages, etc. After about half the test we are entering a straight away where I am required to increase speed to 100kmh, he mentions a massage therapist in Clonakilty, OUR massage therapist who opened an office in there last year, an opening we attended.

Picture if you will my driving along a lovely country road next to a picturesque river, speeding up through the gears, proving to the examiner next to me that I know how to shift – meanwhile in my head I am flashing back to a spring afternoon where we had taken the afternoon to support our friend Joy as she opened her new business in Clonakilty. On that earlier afternoon we sat on a stone wall, eating Thai pastries and >>>>> YES>>>> talking to this man and his wife! They had come along to Joy’s opening because they had traveled in Thailand and had enjoyed massage there. He had had an adventure of note, having found it so relaxing as to fall asleep, only to waken confused when they started to pull on his fingers, thinking they were stealing his ring. The earlier conversation merged with the present moment, I finished my test, and as he handed me my license he said, “Another milestone out of the way.”

I end this musing on little dreams and intentions coming true, the power of the universal mind and the synchronicity that supports us. Had we done our homework and were we ready for our tests? Absolutely, nevertheless that had been true in the past and the lessons had been different. Less than 50% of the people taking these tests pass them. As we both learned as well, the negative power of a high stakes test is that the person being tested can become so nervous they are thrown completely off and stumble in areas they would under other conditions be assured. To my complete chagrin, at one point prior to yesterday I had be reduced to a sniveling idiot, convinced I wasn’t going to pass proving that as much power resides the in the head game as goes with the external experience.

When all is said and done I will take synchronicity every time, it makes things so much easier!

Sending love out to everyone,

Alana (Chopra, 2003, 2007)

Chopra, D. (2003). The spontaneous fulfillment of desire: Harnessing the infinite power of coincidence (1st ed.). New York: Harmony Books.

Chopra, D. (2007). The essential spontaneous fulfillment of desire: The essence of harnessing the infinite power of coincidence (1st abridged ed.). New York: Harmony Books.

No comments: