06 May 2008

Davos, Switzerland-Living Multiculturally

Hi everyone,
No the title does not come from my wanting to go to Switzerland in the near future, but rather from some fun I am having as I am consciously moving into living an international life. While we all may be constrained by our actual location and the availability to travel, I have decided to explore ways and means to expand beyond those constraints.

The current tool(s) I am using have to do with a) iGoolgle widgets and b) internet searches. Here is how I put them together. First I upload a new Widget last week to my iGoogle homepage. It's called "Places to See Before You Die." and comes from a travel site. I chose it because it puts great pictures of other parts of the world front and center on my homepage - nice to dream over as I boot up.

It ocurred to me that I didn't know much about some of the places pictured, nor did I have ANY idea about the quality of life there, religions, agricultural constraints, etc. So to help me overcome my ignorance I now do a quick websearch on every non US picture that comes up. It takes me an extra 10 minutes, but like a good database, the amount I learn over time will be enormous. For instance did you know the Davos, Switzerland is a ski resort town (coming from Colorado I have some idea about those) and is also the place where the World Economic Conference is held? It seems Davos is twinned with Aspen - so I was right that I do have a bit of contextual knowledge to draw on here (unlike my exploration yesterday into temples in Bali).

More as we go,
Alana

No comments: