22 March 2008

The easiest volunteer work


Hi everyone,

Promoting literacy is important work. When I was working with troubled youth and disadvantaged adults we saw that there really is only one "silver bullet" - literacy. If a person can't read they spend much of their lives covering up that fact, faking what comes easily for others. Therefore when our local bookstor' (Irish spelling) gave me the chance to do a bit of volunteer work and to help the cause of literacy I jumped at the chance.

As the picture to the right demonstrates, this volunteer effort was the easiest possible job. I became part of the team they organized to sit in the window of their shop for a half hour stint - adding interest to the cause which was helped out by the volunteers outside passing out information and asking for signatures. I showed up on the Saturday, sat in a comfy chair and got to take the time out to read. "A hard job but someone had to do it."

I would love to exchange volunteer stories from all of you. Please take the time to comment by clicking on the comment box below. Wouldn't it be fun to share a world of volunteerism?

Love to all,
Alana

No comments: