15 February 2007

Everyone over 50 really should take driving lessons

No kidding. At least they were good for me.

Here is the story.

Less than 52% of the people in Ireland pass their driving test the first time and about the same % pass on any given day, no matter how many times they have taken it. Everyone here knows that to pass the test a person really does need to take lessons. So fully armed with high self confidence, (after all haven't I been driving since I was 16 with no accidents?) I set off for my first lesson.

I came home devastated. Your man told me that I had to learn an entirely new way to use the clutch (making me wonder why we didn't buy and automatic). Now no adult likes to be told that we have much to learn, let alone a lot to learn, nevertheless I set my mind to learning it (after all I have to have a liscense).

I've been out practicing an hour or more everyday and, as of yesterday am much improved. So much so that my teacher thinks I have a good chance of passing. In fariness, it has been a good experience and one I wouldn't of had to have in the US, due to our laws.

Whether I liked it or not the Irish system has made me improve. My test is tomorrow am - wish me luck!

Alana

No comments: